Jute gradation is done after the extraction process, usually done by Kutcha balers. The various grades given to jute are like :
- Top :
- This represents very strong fibers, good color and luster.
- Middle :
- This signifies strong fibers having average luster and color.
- Bottom :
- This represents sound fibers having medium strength.
- B-Bottom :
- This signifies sound fibers having medium strength but not appropriate for high grades.
- C- Bottom :
- This signifies fibers of any color having medium strength.
- X- Bottom :
- This represents weakest jute fiber.
Further, on the basis of strength, length, fineness, luster and color, raw jute is distinguished for manufacturing jute products and trading.
Variety of jutes & their grades
Commonly, jute is grown in four varieties as Tossa, White, Mesta and Bimli. Depending upon the grading process, each category is further classified on a scale of 1 to 8, where 1 means the best grade and 8 worst. Among these varieties, the production of Tossa fiber is around 78% i.e the highest and of the white jute, it is around 10%.
|Type of Jute||Grades|
|White jute||W-1, W-2, W-3, W-4, W-5, W-6, W-7, W-8.|
|Tossa jute||TD-1, TD-2, TD-3, TD-4, TD-5, TD-6, TD-7, TD-8|
|Mesta jute||M-1, M-2, M-3, M-4, M-5, M-6|
Also, gradation of jute as per region wise are like :
|Assam||Assam -1 to Assam – 8|
|Jungli||Jungli - 1 to Jungli – 8|
|Bimali||Bimali -1 to Bimali - 8|
Basis of grading
Some factors which are essential while selecting different grades of jute are :
- Qualities such as smoothness, distinctness, softness, uniformity
- Length, color, luster, weight and strength
- Degree of faults like bark, roots, sticks, specks, knots, runners, watermarks
- Proportion of hard centered fiber, harsh crop ends and cutting
Factors affecting gradation of jute
- Nature of soil, water, rainfall, humidity and topography
- Quality varies from season to season and place to place
- Different practices followed while growing of jute and methods used in retting extraction of fiber, washing, drying and storage