The raw jute has to be first processed into bales to manufacture different items. Raw jute bales are transported by trucks to the mill godowns where it has to be accumulated. The manufacturing of jute items comprises following stages:
- Selection :
- The skilled workers inspect the raw jute bales. Usually, two kinds of raw jute bales are there - 150 kg weight and 180 kg weight with or without top portion cutting. The bales are segregrated according to the usage. Then the bales are moved to Bajawala or Gariwala where the worker softens the raw jute.
- Softening :
- The raw jute can be soften either by softening machine or jute spreader. Generally, an emulsion plant with softening machine is used to soften the bark and raw jute. For this a gear pump, motor, vat, jet sprayer, nozzles, emulsion tank and jacket are required.
- Piling and pile breaking :
- In this process, the pile is being broke and served to the carding machine. In piling, a superficial moisture saturates inside the fiber and thermo fillic action softens the hard section of the root. After 24 hours, pile breakers convoy the material to the carding machine and the root weight ranges from 5 to 7% of the total weight of jute.
- Carding :
- Carding is the process where the jute stalks are separated and unnecessary portions are carried away. The jute fibers made into silver ribbon by using any of the three carding techniques - breaker carding, inner carding or finisher carding.
- Breaker Carding :
- Generally, the breaker carding is operated with methods i.e Rool feed breaker carding and Hand feed breaker carding. After the piling process, the material is used in hand feed breaker for more than 24 hours while in rool feed carding, it is used for more than 12 hours. The hand feeded jute is softened in appropriate weightage. The machine for final finishing carding process comprises of different rollers which transform the raw jute into silky jute fiber. Root cutting is done before feeding the material to hand feed breaker carding machine.
- Finisher Carding :
- The machine makes the silver more uniform and regular in length. Similar to breaker carding machine, finisher carding machine comprises large pair of stave, roller, pinning arrangements and speed. Around 4 to 12 slivers are feed on this machine and the material is send to drawing section at the end.